Long-term renting solutions

These pages explain your long-term options if you are living in rented accommodation and your relationship breaks down. Your decision will be based on the rights you have to your rented home, and other personal circumstances, such as finances and whether you have children.

Sorting out long-term rights to the home is complicated and every person’s situation is different. These pages can give you an overview of your options, but you are likely to need to speak to an adviser or solicitor to make final decisions. Visit advice near you to find a local Shelter Cymru advice centre.

I am married/in a civil partnership

If you are married or in a civil partnership and are trying to sort out the long-term rights you have to your rented home, there is a range of solutions open to you

I am living with someone (cohabiting)

If you are not married or in a civil partnership then your long-term rights depend firstly on whether your name is on the tenancy agreement

Transferring tenancies

If you are a joint tenant, or if your partner is the sole tenant, you may be able to have the tenancy transferred into your sole name

Stopping your partner from giving notice

If you are a joint tenant and the other joint tenant gives notice to your landlord, the tenancy will end for both of you

Going to court

People go to court when they can’t agree on a solution. Going to court can be time-consuming and costly

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.