Home ownership long term solutions

The options you have when you’re splitting up with a civil partner, spouse or unmarried partner will be based on the rights you both have to your home, and other issues such as finances and whether you have children.

Sorting out long-term rights for owner-occupied property – for example who owns what share, who will occupy the home, claiming a beneficial interest (share) – is complicated, as everyone’s situation is different. You are likely to need the help of a solicitor specialising in family law to understand your options and when making final decisions. You can find a family law adviser here .

This page does not provide further advice on this topic.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: June 2, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.