Responsibilities for electrical safety

  • If you have a secure or standard occupation contract, the electrics in your home should be tested every five years 
  • You should be given a copy of the electrical report within 14 days of your occupation contract starting 

Landlords, renters and owner-occupiers all have legal responsibilities when it comes to electrical safety. These are explained below. 

What responsibilities do landlords have? 

If you have a secure or standard occupation contract, your landlord must ensure: 

  • that the electrics in your home are tested every five years 
  • that you are provided with the electrical condition report within 14 days of your occupation contract starting  
  • that the electrics in the property are safe when your occupation contract begins 
  • that the electrics are maintained in a safe condition throughout your contract 
  • ensure that any appliance provided is safe and has at least the CE or UKCA marking.

To meet these requirements a landlord will need to regularly carry out basic safety checks to ensure that the electrical installation and appliances are safe and working. 

Restrictions on eviction if your landlord doesn’t provide an electrical report

If your occupation contract began on or after 1 December 2022 and your landlord has not provided you with a valid Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) then they may not be able to give you a ‘no fault’ eviction notice.

If you moved in before 1 December 2022 and have a ‘converted’ contract, your landlord has until 30 November 2023 to ensure a valid electrical report is in place for your home.  They must provide you with a copy of the electrical report by 14 December 2023. If your landlord does not do this, then you cannot be given a ‘no fault’ eviction notice.

Find out more in our Eviction pages.

If you have received notice from your landlord, get help urgently.

PAT testing

If your home was provided furnished with electrical appliances, then these appliances should also be PAT tested. Each tested appliance should have a PAT (portable appliance test) sticker on showing the date it was tested. 

Where can I find out more? 

Electrical Safety First is a charity committed to reducing deaths and injuries through electrical accidents at home and work. Their website has lots of information on electrical safety as well as guidance on how to find and hire a registered electrician. 

In Wales, all private landlords and agents of rented homes under a standard occupation contract must be registered and/or licensed with Rent Smart Wales. To keep and obtain a licence, a landlord must keep to certain rules and recommendations – including electrical safety. If you are concerned about the electrics in your home and you have reported them to your landlord but nothing has been done, then you can: 

  • report the matter to Rent Smart Wales who will investigate 
  • contact your local council’s environmental health department who can ensure your landlord is meeting their legal obligations and take enforcement action against them if they are found not to be (see our page on disrepair affecting health for more information) 
  • get help from Shelter Cymru.

What responsibilities do I have if I rent my home? 

If you rent your home, you should: 

  • watch out for danger signs and make sure all electrical equipment in your home is maintained and used properly 
  • don’t use equipment or appliances that you think may be unsafe. If your landlord supplied the faulty equipment, report the disrepair to them 
  • allow your landlord and/or an electrical contractor access to your home to carry out inspections and repairs. Your landlord should give you 24 hours’ notice before coming round (unless it is an emergency). 

You are also responsible for the condition and safety of any electrical appliances that you brought to the property yourself. 

If you are in any doubt about the safety of an appliance, get it tested or replaced. 

What are my responsibilities if I own my home? 

If you own your home, it is recommended that you: 

  • arrange for an electrical inspection to be carried out every ten years 
  • watch out for danger signs and make sure all electrical equipment in your home is maintained and used properly 
  • ensure all repair and installation work is carried out properly. 

Always use an electrician who is listed on the Registered Competent Persons website. This means that they are registered with a government-approved scheme and can issue a certificate to prove that the work has been done properly and is safe.  

Whether you own or rent your home, there are some steps which you should always take to keep your home safe. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: December 1, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.