Long-term renting solutions

These pages explain your long-term options if you are living in rented accommodation and your relationship breaks down. Your decision will be based on the rights you have to your rented home, and other personal circumstances, such as finances and whether you have children.

Sorting out long-term rights to the home is complicated and every person’s situation is different. These pages can give you an overview of your options, but you are likely to need to speak to a family law adviser or solicitor. You can search for a family law adiser here.

I am married/in a civil partnership

If you are married or in a civil partnership and are trying to sort out the long-term rights you have to your rented home, there is a range of solutions open to you

I am living with someone (cohabiting)

If you are not married or in a civil partnership then your long-term rights depend firstly on whether your name is on the occupation contract.

Transferring occupation contracts

If you are a joint contract-holder, or if your partner is the sole contract-holder, you may be able to have the occupation contract transferred into your sole name

Going to court

People go to court when they can’t agree on a solution. Going to court can be time-consuming and costly

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: June 2, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.