Renting is changing in Wales on July 15th: Find out more here


If you have to leave home because your partner is behaving in an abusive or threatening way, you may want to stay at a refuge. Or, if you apply as homeless, the council may arrange emergency accommodation in a refuge.


If staying at home because of Coronavirus puts you or your family at risk of abuse from someone else in the household, there is still help available during the pandemic.

If you are in immediate danger, call the police on 999. If you need silent help dial 999 followed by 55.  Police will still come to your home.

The Live Fear Free helpline is a free, confidential 24 hour helpline run by Welsh Women’s Aid. Call 0808 8010 800 or email Men experiencing domestic abuse can contact the Respect Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.

For details of how to stay safe during the pandemic, click here.

Who can go to a refuge?

Any one who is being abused can go to a refuge for safety. You don’t have to have children to get a place in a refuge, and you don’t need to have left your partner permanently.

Where will the refuge be?

The addresses of refuges are kept confidential to protect residents from abusive partners.  You may have to stay in another area if there are no places in your nearest refuge.

How do I get into a refuge?

There are several ways in which you may be able to get a place in a refuge:

  • telephone the freephone 24-hour Live Fear Free Helpline on 0808 8010 800 or Shelter Cymru’s helpline. An adviser will do their best to find you a place in a refuge that suits your needs, or will help you sort out somewhere else safe to stay if there are no places available
  • the police or social services may be able to refer you
  • the local council may be able to refer you, or may arrange for you to stay in a refuge as emergency accommodation if you make a homelessness application.

Be aware that you may not be able to get a place in a refuge straight away, as there can be a high demand for places, and they are limited.

What if I am disabled or have a disabled child?

If you are disabled, it may be more difficult for you to get away from your home, especially if you have mobility problems. In addition, many refuges aren’t fully accessible for disabled people. An adviser from the freephone 24-hour Live Fear Free Helpline (0808 8010 800) will be able to help you find a place in an accessible refuge, and you can also get help from the council.

How do I pay for my accommodation?

Refuges are not free; you will have to pay rent while you are staying there. However, you may be able to claim housing benefit to help cover the cost. If you still have to pay rent on the home you have fled, you may be able to get housing benefit for two homes.

For further information about what refuges are like, what help you can get in a refuge and your rights while you are staying in a refuge, click here or visit the website of Welsh Women’s Aid.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: March 1, 2021

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.