Converted supported standard contracts

  • If you receive support as part of living in your home you might live in supported accommodation
  • If you moved into supported accommodation before 1 December 2022 and had an assured shorthold tenancy your agreement might have become a converted supported standard occupation contract.
  • If you have this type of converted supported standard contract you can’t be asked to leave temporarily or made to move to another part of the supported accommodation project 

If you moved into your home on or after 1 December 2022 the information below does not apply to you. To find the correct information, please visit our Renting advice pages. 

This page explains your rights if you have a converted supported standard occupation contract that used to be an assured shorthold tenancy. 

It does not explain your rights and responsibilities if you have a licence or common law tenancy in supported accommodation. For information about this, click here.

Do I have a converted supported standard occupation contract? 

You probably have a supported standard occupation contract if: 

  • your landlord is a community landlord or a registered charity 
  • you moved into the supported accommodation before 1 December 2022 
  • you receive support from your landlord or a registered charity, or from someone acting on their behalf 
  • you had an assured shorthold tenancy immediately before 1 December 2022 

Will I get a copy of the new contract? 

Your landlord must provide you with a written contract by 1 June 2023.
If any supplementary term or terms in your old contract are not valid this should be identified and explained clearly in the contract. For more information see our advice page about written occupation contracts.  

If you haven’t already received them, you should also be given:  

  • a contact address for your landlord  
  • a copy of the annual gas safety check dated within the last year 
  • an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) dated within the last 10 years 

If you are still living in the accommodation on 1 December 2023, you should also receive an electrical installation condition report dated within the last 5 years. This test should then be carried out every 5 years. 

Can my landlord evict me? 

Yes. Your landlord may decide to evict you if you breach your occupation contract or for other reasons. It is usually quite easy for your landlord to evict you under a supported standard contract. Your landlord has to follow the right procedure by giving you a valid notice and getting a court order,  but they don’t have to prove a legal reason to the court. Once you receive the notice, you may be able to ask your landlord to review their decision to evict you.

For more information about eviction, see our advice here.

If you receive a notice asking you to leave supported accommodation, get help. 

Can my landlord ask me to leave temporarily or move me to another room within the building? 

No. If you had an assured shorthold tenancy and moved in before 1 December 2022 your contract does not allow for you to be temporarily excluded or moved to another part of the supported accommodation project. 

What are the rules on rent and rent increases? 

If your landlord wants to increase your rent, they must give at least 2 months’ notice on a RHW12 form. They can only increase your rent once a year.

Your rent should always be your top financial priority as you could lose your home if you get into rent arrears. If you are claiming benefits or have a low income, you may be able to claim housing benefit or Universal Credit housing costs to help with the rent. It is a good idea to talk to your landlord if you have any concerns about paying rent. 

Can I appeal against the rent increase? 

If your tenancy was an assured shorthold tenancy with a housing association or private landlord before it converted on 1 December 2022, you may be able to appeal to the Rent Assessment Committee (RAC) if you think your rent has been increased unfairly. You must apply for an appeal before the date that your rent is due to increase.

Can my landlord change my converted supported standard contract? 

The terms of your converted supported standard contract can only be changed if you and your landlord agree. No changes can be made until you have been given the written contract.   

Once you receive the contract your landlord can make changes to:  

 If changes are agreed, your landlord should give you a ‘written statement of variation’ within 14 days. They may choose to give you a full written occupation contract in full, including the changed fundamental or supplementary term. If your landlord fails to provide you with either of these, get help.  

Who is responsible for repairs and conditions? 

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that the property is kept in good repairThis includes dealing with: 

  • problems with the roof, guttering, windows, doors and brickwork  
  • plumbing, gas and electricity. 

Your landlord should give you information about what repairs you are responsible for, which usually includes internal decoration and putting right any damage you cause. 

If your home needs repairs, report the problem to your landlord straight away. They should have a 24-hour service for emergencies and proper procedures for carrying out any work involved.  

Your landlord must also ensure that you home is fit to live in. If conditions in your home are very poor, if there is serious damp and mould for example, your home may be classed as unfit to live in.  

For your home to be fit to live in, you must also have been given a carbon monoxide detector where appropriate.  

Your landlord must also install mains-connected smoke alarms on each floor of your home and carry out an electrical installation condition report (EICR) by 1 December 2023. 

You can find out more about repairs here.

Your right to live in your home without interference 

You have the right to live in your home without interference from the landlord or anyone acting on their behalf. If your landlord tries to do this they may be guilty of harassment, which is against the law. To find out more about what you can do if your landlord is harassing you, read our advice about harassment and illegal eviction. 

Can I take in lodgers or sublet my home? 

You don’t normally have the right to take in a lodger or sublet part of your home while you are a converted supported standard contract-holder. If you do so without written permission from your landlord, they may decide to evict you. 

Can I add a joint contract-holder? 

Your contract should give you the right to add a joint contract-holder if your landlord agrees. This is a fundamental term of secure, periodic standard and fixed term standard contracts. Find out more here. 

Can someone else take over my supported standard occupation contract if I die?  

If you die while you have a supported standard occupation contract there are rules about who the contract can be passed on to. This is called succession.

Can I get a transfer or exchange? 

Not while you are in supported accommodation. You will have to wait until you get settled accommodation. Even then, it will only be possible to exchange your home if you are given a secure contract with a community landlord. 

How can I end a standard occupation contract? 

If you want to end your standard contract and leave your home you should give the landlord the correct notice in writing. The minimum length of notice you should give your landlord is 4 weeks.

What if I have a complaint? 

If you feel that your landlord isn’t treating you fairly or has failed to fulfil its responsibilities, you should use their official complaints procedure. You usually have to do this before you can take things any further. 

If you’re not happy with the response you get, you might be able to complain further to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: February 17, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.