Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a monthly payment for people of working age, designed to top up income to a minimum level.

UC has replaced several older benefits – including housing benefit, income support and income based jobseeker’s allowance.


If you are of working age and on a low income you might be able to apply for Universal Credit (UC).

Claims for UC are made online.  Click here for more details about how to apply.

Don’t delay in making your claim. You will have to wait 5 weeks from your claim for your first payment but you can usually get a UC advance within a few days if you cannot wait.

If you are already receiving  UC with an uplift, the uplift has now ended. This means that the amount you receive will be cut by around £20.00 per week.  If you are struggling for money because of this change, you may be eligible for a discretionary assistance fund payment.

If you have applied for UC but are worried about paying your rent in the meantime, use our sample wording to send a letter, email or text to your landlord.

To find out more about applying for benefits during the coronavirus pandemic click here.

To find out more about what you can claim go to the entitledto website.

Who can claim Universal Credit?

Find out if you can claim UC.

How do I apply for UC?

You normally have to make your claim for UC online. Find out more here.

Can I claim UC if I am homeless?

Just because you are homeless does not mean that you cannot claim UC. Have a look at our advice here.

How much UC will I get?

The amount you get depends on your income and family circumstances. Find out more about how UC is calculated here.

How long will it take to get UC?

It will take at least 5 weeks before your get your first payment. Find out what you can do if you haven’t got enough money in the meantime here.

Can I claim for help paying my rent?

Your UC payment can include help towards paying your rent. Find out more about how much help you can get here.

Can I claim for help paying my mortgage?

Your UC payment can include a payment to help you pay your mortgage. Find out more about the help you can get here.

Deductions from UC

Find out what deductions can be made from your UC, for example, to cover rent arrears.

Challenging UC decisions

If you don’t agree with a decision made about your UC claim you might be able to challenge it. Find out how here.

What other help can I get if I am on UC?

If you are on UC you might qualify for other help with your money. Find out what you can get here.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.