Can I claim for help paying my mortgage?

Your Universal Credit (UC) claim can include a claim for help paying your housing costs, including mortgage interest payments.

These payments are known as Support for Mortgage Interest payments (SMI).

How much help will I get towards my mortgage payments?

SMI payments are paid as a loan, but you will only have to pay it back once you sell the house or give it to someone else. The payments can help you pay the interest on your mortgage. It cannot help you pay anything towards the capital sum of your mortgage.

You can usually claim help with interest payments on loans up to £200,000.

The amount you get is based on a set rate of interest on what’s left of your mortgage. The rate is set at the Bank of England’s average mortgage rate. Check to find out the current rate and further information.

When can I claim SMI?

You can usually get SMI starting from 3 months after you claimed Universal Credit.

How are the payments made to my mortgage?

Payments are paid straight to your lender.

The payments are paid as a loan. This means that you have to pay them back, with interest, when you sell or transfer ownership of your home. The current rate of interest added to the loan is 3.03% but this may go up or down.

What should I do if I cannot wait for 3 months, or cannot afford my mortgage?

If you are claiming UC but cannot afford your mortgage, you might have to reconsider your housing options. Have a look at our pages on mortgage arrears and mortgage repossession for further advice.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: April 15, 2024

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.